- Visit Hjo, Tourist Information Center
In Hjo, Lake Vättern is always close to hand
The little wooden town Hjo, with its almost 9,000 inhabitants, is situated on the western shore of Lake Vättern, about 1 hour’s drive north of Jönköping and 30 minutes east of Skövde.
In Hjo, Lake Vättern is always close to hand and so it's easy to quickly slip out for a refreshing dip on warm summer days. There are several bathing areas, both in and outside the town centre. In Hjo itself you can, for example, bathe at Guldkroksbadet's sandy beach, with no admission fee, or take a dip further south along the so-called "beach stroll". If you instead prefer to go out on the lake, you can take a steamboat ride with S/S Trafik, enjoy a quiet moment in the wood-fired floating sauna at the harbour, or why not bring your own paddleboard and set off on the calm waters of Lake Vättern?
Activities on Lake Vättern in Hjo
- Rent a kayak at Hjo Tourist Information. There are four in total and are rentable 23rd of June - 19 August 2018
- Rent a Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) at Hjo Tourist Information. There are two in total and are rentable 23rd of June - 19 August 2018
- Rent a rowing boat down the wharf in Hjo. Available June-September
- Take a trip with the Steam Boat from 1892 - Trafik! You can do round trip on the lake or take a day trip to Island Visingsö or cross the lake to Vadstena or Hästholmen. Two times every year you also enjoy a ride and experience the jazz cruise. Several tours during June-August - booking is done through Hjo tourist information
- Relax on the floating sauna which you find in the wharf. Contact by phone: +46 730 67 88 00, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swim at the sand beach below Hjo Town Park, next to the harbor. Look out over lake Vättern's cold water with Hjo's characteristic bathing-cabins from the former health resort in the back.
Sweden's second largest lake
Vättern is not only Sweden's second largest lake, it is also the fifth largest lake in Europe. The lake is 135 kilometres long and 31 kilometres wide, and it links together the four provinces of Östergötland, Västergötland, Närke and Småland. If you want to circumnavigate the lake, the distance around Vättern is about 300 kilometres and you will pass through eight different municipalities along the way.
The largest recreational bicycle ride in the world
The largest recreational bicycle ride in the world - Vättern rundan - passes Hjo. The total length around Lake Vättern is 300 km. Competitors start on the east side of lake Vättern, in Motala. Some part of central Hjo will be cut out of traffic during the day. The bikers usually pass by throughout the whole day.
Would you like some more information?
Would you like to know more about what to do in Hjo? Don't be shy - contact the Tourist Information Center in Hjo and they will help you out, click on the link and you'll find the information you need.