Hjo Town Park
- Visit Hjo, tourist information center
Surrounded by the trees and the murmuring sound of the waves.
The historic park is a vibrant meeting place where the people of Hjo like to relax and socialise in beautiful surroundings. This is where we play tennis and chess, visit the outdoor gym, go for a run, have picnics or visit one of the art studios and much more.
The history of Hjo town park
The town park, which was given a special status in 2018, simply exudes history. Towards the end of the 19th century, it was home to a spa resort, Hjo Vattenkuranstalt AB. The spa was a place where guests could bathe and the water could be used for all sorts of topical treatments. It was founded by four residents of Hjo: landowner Harald Röhss of Munkeberg, Count Gustaf Sparre of Almnäs, merchant Gustaf Sjöstedt of Hjo and the newly arrived provincial doctor Dr Wilhelm Baggstedt, who saw the potential of Hjo and its close proximity to Lake Vättern. They purchased a country estate, in the form of the park, and started to build.
The park today
Now, as then, the park is a vibrant meeting place where the people of Hjo like to relax and socialise in beautiful surroundings. This is where we play tennis and chess, visit the outdoor gym, go for a run, have picnics or visit one of the art studios. We take our younger family members to Experimenthuset science centre, play mini-golf, relax with a coffee or grab a bite to eat. But, whatever we do here, it’s a place where, quite simply, we feel good.
Activities in the park today
- Use the free of charge outdoor gym
- Let your children have a good time at the playing ground (free of charge)
- Compete with each other at the mini golf. Open May-August
- Have a picnic
- Play chess at the huge chessboard (free of charge) adjacent to Hotel Bellevue
- Spend some time at the heated pools at Guldkroksbadet (free of charge). Open June-August
- Step in to a world where both young and old can participate in scientific experiments at the Experimenthuset. Open June-August
- Enjoy a nice meal at Biergarten or Svea Hälsocafé
- Why not play tennis in the park? There are two outdoor courts available for rent from May to September depending on the weather, between 07:00-22:00. The outdoor courts are rented per hour via Hjo Tourist Information or Grönköping Spel & Godis. You can also rent tennis racket at the touristinformation.
Would you like some more information?
Would you like to know more about what to do in Hjo? Please contact us at the Tourist Information Center in Hjo and we will help you with further information.