Golf profile about Western Sweden: Mats Lanner
Hello... Mats Lanner, golfer from Gothenburg, who became the second Swede ever to win a European tour competition when he won the Epson GP 1987. Mats has won two other competitions on the tour, and decided the Dunhill Cup final at St. Andrews in 1991.
What is your connection to West Sweden?
- I was born and grew up on Hisingen in Gothenburg. These days I live in Mölnlycke, ten kilometres southwest of Gothenburg.
Can you name a few special places that make your West-Swedish heart beat a little faster?
- Since I started playing in the course that is adjacent to my parents’ summer place in Strömstad, I would have to say Strömstad. I also enjoy being out on Koster Island, and at Smögen.
What is your favourite restaurant in West Sweden?
- I’ll say Strömstad again – Skagerack by the waterfront.
Which are your favourite golf courses in West Sweden?
- I joined Albatross GK as a 15-year-old, so I’ll pick that one, Vallda GCC and Strömstad GK.
What is the best thing about West Sweden?
- Swimming in the salty water, and the smooth, sun-baked rocks by the coast are really special.