Golf profile about Western Sweden: Sophie Gustafson,
Hello… Sophie Gustafson, Särö golfer with three LPGA tour wins and a huge 14 wins on the European tour, as well as eight-time participant in the Solheim Cup.
What is your connection to West Sweden?
- I was born and grew up in Särö just south of Gothenburg. I lived in the US for 17 years but now I’m back.
Can you name a few special places that make your West-Swedish heart beat a little faster?
- I love Särö, I rarely leave our little village here. Marstrand is also nice, especially during the sailing week, but unfortunately I haven’t been there for 20-odd years.
What is your favourite restaurant in West Sweden?
- I like Blomstermåla out here in Särö. Långedrags Värdshus is also a favourite. Just like Blomstermåla, it’s by the sea and has excellent food.
Which are your favourite golf courses in West Sweden?
- If you want a course that’s always in good condition, I’d go for Kungsbacka GK. It’s fun, and with a good variation between holes. It’s a parkland course, with links and forest mixed in. Vallda is also a nice course. It’s links, which is fun to play, and the restaurant is first class. If you want something easier and fun, I’d recommend Särö’s short course. It’s fun and very easy to get out onto. There’s hardly ever a wait, and you can do 4, 5, 9, 18 or 54 holes. Very easy. I play 90 per cent of my golf there.
What is the best thing about West Sweden?
- The summer and the sea. There’s no better place when the weather’s cooperating. Taking the boat out to one of all the islands out here is a real luxury.