Dalsland Canoe Marathon
The Dalsland Canoe Marathon (DCM) is one of the world's biggest canoeing races and takes place in August each year. Everyone is welcome, regardless of whether they are a recreational competitor, an elite competitor, or a passionate spectator.
What is the Dalsland Canoe Marathon?
Scandinavia’s biggest canoeing and kayaking race and Dalsland’s number one public event takes place in August each year. Around 500 competitors set off on the 45 km course starting and finishing at Sågudden in Bengtsfors, either in a single-person kayak, a two-person kayak, or a Canadian canoe. Although the focus is mainly on recreational competitors, the race also attracts the very best in the world. Throughout the race day and during the evening, the area around the finishing line in Bengtsfors is packed with fun activities for both competitors and spectators. Challenge yourself and your family, friends and colleagues in this fantastic lakeside adventure!
Photographer: Marie Leander
When does the race take place?
Cancelled 2021. Welcome back 13 August 2022!
There are several different categories to choose from. All cover a distance of 45 km You must be 15 or over to compete in the Dalsland Canoe Marathon. You can compete from age 12 but only in the K2, or the C2 accompanied by your parent or guardian.
The main categories are:
- DCM Single (K1)
- DCM Duo (K2, C2)
- DCM Relay Single (K1)
- DCM Relay Duo (K2 C2)
- DCM Open (Longships, K4 etc.)
The DCM 45 km race starts at 8am at Sågudden in Bengtsfors . All the competitors set off at the same time and have a maximum of 11 hours to make their way to the finishing line back at Sågudden in Bengtsfors.
Dalsland is the most lake rich province in Sweden, and the Dalsland Canoe Marathon passes through six of these beautiful rift lakes: Lelång, Västra Silen, Svärdlång, Laxsjön, Nedre & Övre Höljen and Bengtsbrohöljen. The first canoe lift and pit stop are at the 12 km point, and there are six more lifts and three more pit stops. Buoys are placed along the course to indicate a suitable route. On all the waters red escort boats will be in attendance in case of emergency. You can see a map of the course here.
Photographer: Marie Leander
Registration open.To the Dalsland Canoe Marathon website
Did you know?
- The Dalsland Canoe Marathon started back in 2004 and takes place each year on the second Saturday in August.
- It is one of the world's biggest canoe races and attracts competitors from all over the world (15 different countries).
- The race is organised by Camp Dalsland, a non-profit association that also arranges many other races, including Dalsland X-Country, Dalsland Swimrun, Dalsland X-Trail, and Dalsland Gravel Race.
- You can complete what is known as the ‘Dalsland Classic’ by taking part in Dalsland X-Country (mountain biking), Dalsland Canoe Marathon (canoeing) and Dalsland X-Trail (trail running).
- In the evening, after everyone has made it to the finishing line, food is served as part of a festive ‘après-canoe’ event. Not to be missed!
West Sweden Action Weeks bring together a series of races for running, canoeing, cycling, swimming, and roller-skiing enthusiasts of all ages and abilities. We offer experiences and surroundings that are truly amazing. A memorable occasion for competitors and spectators alike, and with a firm emphasis on sustainability.
Sågudden i Bengtsfors