The Curman Villas
The Curmans Villas were built in 1875 by Carl Curman, who was a balneologist, when Lysekil was established as a resort. The house was built for a bachelor so when he settled in 1877 with Calla Liljenroth, an annexe was built where the children and the servants could live. In 1878 the annexe was ready, and in the same year the main building burned down to the ground. Carl decided to rebuild it with only a few changes. This house was ready in 1880.
The houses are built in an ancient norse style, inspired by ancient norse stories, and the timber structure reminiscent of the Norwegian stabbur, which is a storage room on posts. The color scheme of the buildings is imaginative and colorful. Tar-brown, strong yellow and English red dominates while the details are in green, blue and red. Fantasy dragon heads decorate the upstairs cantilevers.
The villas are listed buildings and constitute a characteristic feature of Lysekil's cityscape.
They are still owned and cared for by the Curman family. Tours of the villa are organized every summer, see the event calendar.
453 30 Lysekil