The Old Town
The city area east of the river and north of Kungsberget is called "The Old Town of Åmål". The area escaped the great fire in 1901 and has retained its authentic character of the old city environment.
Along the shore of Lake Vänern you will find the guest harbor with the local history museum, restaurant, ice-cream café, tourist information and the old church. Surrounded by prominent buildings where many of Åmåls most powerful people have lived through the centuries.
The old church
The old church, which was built in 1669, is located in the eastern part of the Old Town. At the same place where Åmåls first church had once been. The building is now owned by the municipality and is beautiful place for music, literature events, art and lectures.
From marketplace to a beautiful park
Just east of the river lies the central park, called Plantaget. This was the area of the old marketplace. The marketplace was later transferred to its current place west of the river and Plantaget was transformed into a lush park.
Area from the early 18th century
The park Plantaget and the buildings around the park is one of the best preserved 18th century environments in the country. The majestic Vågmästargården - building was built in 1714. The other buildings around the park was built soon after.