At Gärsbo there have been mills in various forms since the 17th century. One of the mills was assembled in 1968, and the upper floor became a holiday home on Horsabacken. The lower mill from 1823 was renovated in the 1970s and 1980s by Tvärreds Hembygdsforening.
Gärsbo mill or Hjertsbo as it earlier was called, is already mentioned in preserved text during the 14th century, but if there was any mill then is uncertain. It is certain that a mill stood here during the 17th hundreds.
The farmer Johan Hedin became the owner of the farm Hjertsbo in 1813, and immediately began to build the current mill.
By the mid-1950s, the smaller mills were not useful anymore. In 1964, the former owner donated the mills to the newly formed Tvärreds Hembygdsforening, with the wish that the mills would be preserved. It turned out, however, that only the lower mill could be saved. The upper mill which was falling apart stood in the way for a planned road improvement. It was therefore disassembled in the late 1960s, and the upper floor became a holiday home at Horsabacken.