The Dalsland canal
The Strömmen lock is one of the few locks in the canal system that is opened manually. It is a single lock with a 1,2 m height difference.
Number of locks: 1
Elevation: 1,2 m
Duration: 15 minutes
Waiting jetties for temporary mooring are located just before the lock. Just above the lock station, you will pass a swing bridge that is opened by the lock keeper, clearance is 3,8 m. Power lines cross the canal north of the bridge, with a clearance of 14 m.
The idea to build a canal between the Ärr and Ånimmen lakes was born in 1825. The mills in the area wanted a convenient transport route and in answer to that, the Strömmen lock was built in 1842. A rather simple wooden structure, it was funded mostly by Lisefors Ironworks, which was later renamed Fengersfors Mill. The lock quickly became obsolete and the mill built a new lock in the early 1900s.
The Snäcke canal was its own company until 1982, when it was incorporated into the Dalsland canal.
This part of the canal was the last to be operated by freighters. These freighters carried quartz from the quarries at Fröskog to the smelting works in Vargön. The very last vessel to sail the canal was Lindö, which passed by on 4 December 1971 with 111 tonnes of quartz.
It’s also worth mentioning that it was here artist Otto Hesselbom painted the famous painting Vårt Land (Our Land), which is now on display at the National Museum, and that director Tage Danielsson set large parts of the film Ronia, the Robber’s Daughter here. Perhaps some of the little trolls from the movie are still here, keeping an eye on Strömmen, one of the canal’s two manually operated locks.