Fun for children
Strömstad and the nationalpark offer lots of fun activities for children of all ages. Fish for crabs, cycle on the Koster Islands, go on a seal safari, or visit popular attractions such as naturum Kosterhavet and the Tjärnö Aquarium, where you can learn more about life beneath the surface.
Photographer: Jonas Ingman
- The Naturum visitor centre is a stone’s throw from the Ekenäs jetty on South Koster. It has an exhibition with photos, interactive activities and a microscope where you can look at your own beach discoveries. There is also an aquarium here with a touch tank where you can see and feel some of Kosterhavet’s inhabitants.
Photographer: Lovéncentret Tjärnö
- Tjärnö Aquarium. During summer vacation period we welcome the public to this most species-rich aquarium in Sweden. Visitors can also study small living marine organisms in stereo microscope. Two marine biologists are present to answer questions, and give so-called Live presentations about i.e. oysters, lobster, crabs or jelly fishes. Film is shown in the auditorium.
Research Vessel Excursions
Cost: from 16 year: 300 kr, 7-15 year: 150 kr and up to 6 år: free
Number of participants is limited, so one should book in advance. Booking: +46 31 786 96 21
- Diversity of the Sea
From the research vessel Nereus we make measurements in the water and collect algae and animals from the Kosterhavet Marine National Park and look more into them in stereo microscope in the laboratory. Entrance to Tjärnö Aquarium is included. Booking in advance.
There will be seven Diversity of the Sea during summer of 2020:
- Tuesday 30 June 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 7 July 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 14 July 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 21 July 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 28 July 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 4 August 14.30-17.00
- Tuesday 11 August 14.30-17.00
- Filming in the Kosterhavet Deep
From the research vessel Nereus we deploy a Remotely Operated Vehicle equipped with a video camera. We film life at 100 metres depth and show it in real-time on a monitor on board. A guide explains what we see. ”Fika” (coffe/tea/juice and a cinnamon roll) is included. In collaboration with Kosterhavet Marine National Park.
We are planning four filming tours during summer 2020.
- Friday 17 July 10.00-13.00, departuring from Ekenäs, Sydkoster. Booking through naturum Kosterhavet (visitor centre), 010-224 54 00.
- Friday 24 July 09.00-12.00, departuring from the Tjärnö Laboratory.
- Friday 31 July 10.00-13.00, departuring from Ekenäs, Sydkoster. Booking through naturum Kosterhavet (visitor centre), 010-224 54 00.
- Friday 7 August 09.00-12.00, departuring from the Tjärnö Laboratory.
Photographer: Håkan Karlsson
More activities for children:
- Go fishing or seal spotting, boat trips in summer season from (the Square) Norra Hamnen in Strömstad.
Photographer: Halldór Kolbeins
Crab fishing – this is what to do!
Catching crabs from the pier – every child's favourite pastime!
Tie a peg to the end of a piece of string, clip a crushed sea mussel to the peg, lower it into the water by a stony beach and wait.....
Haul in the fishing line once the crab starts eating the mussel and place the crab in a bucket of seawater. Always release the crabs back into the sea afterwards!