Mountain biking in Bohuslän
Come for the mountain biking in Bohuslän in its spectacular natural settings. Try your skills on the bare granite rock, the rolling woodlands and undulating landscapes. You will be pleased to know that we are expanding our mountain bike trails.
The good news is that there is a network of scenic walking trails in West Sweden, but the less-than-good news is that there are relatively few mountain bike trails. But we are working on it. In the area around the small town of Lysekil the Villa Bro lodge has started putting together a single track. And outside of the town of Ljungskile there is a network of trails around Stenshult. If you are unsure about where you are allowed to ride your mountain bike ask at the local tourist information office.
You don’t have to ask if you can ride your bike on the Bohusleden walking trail though; parts of this trail do get technical and will test your skills. The area around the town of Strömstad also offers good mountain bike trails and it is here that they hold the annual Grenserittet, an 81 km-long mountain bike race between Strömstad and Norwegian town Halden. Thousands of riders compete for the prizes every year – maybe you should join them.
8 tips for mountain bikers
- Always carry plenty of water with you as on some trails there are long distances between water stops.
- Always have the following with you; puncture repair kit, tyre levers, spare inner tubes and multi-tool.
- Wear cycling glasses to protect against overhanging branches, stones, gravel, speeding insects etc.
- Always wear a helmet, for obvious reasons.
- Do yourself a favour and wear padded cycling shorts.
- Show respect for walkers, horse-riders and others who share the trail with you.
- Show respect for landowners by not riding trails when weather conditions are unsuitable and you can cause damage to the trail.
- If you are unsure about where you are allowed to ride your mountain bike ask at the local tourist information office.