Upperud 9:9 – from granary to a hotel with a difference
Kerstin Söderlund is from Gothenburg and moved to Dalsland in the 1970s – and stayed. She was a farmer for 20 years and in 2013 she saw an old granary that she has converted into a hotel and café and events location. Upperud 9:9 has gained a reputation far and wide as being a place worth travelling for.
It was when Kerstin was working on developing walking trails in Dalsland that the idea of repurposing the old granary building came to her. The building stood ready in 2015; five hotel rooms, each a compact, split-level studio. Many of het guests come for the Pilgrim Trail that stretches 100km across Dalsland from south to north.
- The nature here is fantastic. It is hilly, there are lots of watercourses and the roads are winding. You really can talk about ‘wilderness’ here because so few people live here, although we are just a couple of hours north of Gothenburg. When you leave Upperud you can drive for 40km before reaching Edelskog and you’ll be lucky if you see another house.
Experiencing Dalsland along the Pilgrim trail is something that Kerstin recommends. It is a pleasant walk and it is all about relaxing and unwinding and getting close to nature.
- When I talk with the guests who visit us, both Swedish and from abroad, I get the impression that many of them appreciate getting out into the countryside and enjoying each other’s company in peace and quiet. They also like getting back to the hotel evening-time to enjoy a meal and drinks and sleeping in a comfortable bed. I like to say that Upperud 9:9 is like a harbour on land.
So when is Kerstin happiest at work? She thinks about it for a second…
- Because I am a ‘morning person’ I love breakfast. When I see happy and expectant guests eating and planning their day and they ask me for tips and advice, then I’m at my happiest. Satisfied guests is the best reward!
Three recommendations on what to do in Dalsland, according to Kerstin
- Dalsland Konstmuseum
- Kerstin Ljungqvist’s studio in Dals Rostock
- Not Quite (café and bistro)
Go back to: westsweden.com/72hcabin
Go to: visitsweden.com/72hcabin